July 15, 2013

The Meeting of Gandalf and Thorin

And now we come to it. The great stories of the Third Age. The First and Second Age tales were stories, legends, myths, and some histories passed down from Age to Age. When Aragorn became King he decreed these histories were recorded. Of chief importance were the events at the end of the Third Age: the rise of Sauron, the finding of the One Ring, the War of the Ring, and so on. In fact, where as many of the dates I've discussed thus far are general timelines and years at best many of the following events are even traced down to the day. There will also be several points of view, for example, The Hobbit, centers on Bilbo's view of the events. This explains the childlike narrative and sometimes inaccurate detail. In reality Tolkien's Hobbit, his first published Middle-earth adventure, was written as a children's book and not fully compatible with what became The Lord of the Rings. So the viewpoints explanation helps to explain some of the differences. For example the King of the Elves in The Hobbit is actually Thranduil, Legolas' father. Bilbo either didn't know or didn't think it important to record this lineage. So on to the tail of the first meeting of Gandalf and Thorin Oakenshield.

"On a time Thorin, returning west from a journey, stayed in Bree for the night. There Gandalf was also. He was on his way to the Shire, which he had not visited for some twenty years, he was weary and thought there to rest a while" (p. 359, The Return of the King). Gandalf later told Frodo why exactly he was so weary. "'I was very troubled at that time...for Saruman was hindering all my plans. I knew that Sauron had arisen again and would soon declare himself, and I knew that he was preparing for a great war. How would he begin? Would he try first to re-occupy Mordor, or would he first attack the chief strongholds of his enemies? I thought then, and I am sure now, that to attack Lorien and Rivendell, as soon as he was strong enough, was his original plan. It would have been much better plan for him, and much worse for us'" (p. 322-323, Unfinished Tales).

For Gandalf knew that Rivendell was vulnerable as only the Dwarves of the Iron Hills (where Dain resided) stood in the way of Sauron in the North; much of Durin's Folk where gone and the Men of Dale decimated by Smaug. The dragon worried Gandalf as well as he knew full well that Sauron could use Smaug for many terrible deeds. "Often I said to myself: 'I must find some means of dealing with Smaug. But a direct stroke against Dol Guldur is needed still more. We must disturb Sauron's plans. I must make the Council see that'" (p. 322, Unfinished Tales). To rest from these burden's Gandalf sought a visit to the Shire.

"It was even as Gandalf sat and pondered this that Thorin stood before him, and said: 'Master Gandalf, I know you only by sight, but now I should be glad to speak with you. For you have often come into my thoughts of late, as if I were bidden to seek you. Indeed I should have done so, if I had known where to find you.'
Gandalf looked at him with wonder. 'That is strange, Thorin Oakenshield,' he said. 'For I have thought of you also; and though I am on my way to the Shire, it was in my mind that is the way also to your halls.'
'Call them so, if you will,' said Thorin. 'They are only poor lodgings in exile. But you would be welcome there, if you would come. For they say that you are wise and know more than any other of what goes on in the world; and I have much on my mind and would be glad of your counsel.'
'I will come,' said Gandalf; 'for I guess that we share one trouble at least. The Dragon of Erebor is on my mind, and I do not think that he will be forgotten by the grandson of Thror.'" (p. 359, The Return of the King). Indeed Thorin and Gandalf passed through the Shire on their way to the Blue Mountains and it was Thorin's disdain for the Halflings that first gave the wizard thought of bringing a Hobbit along.

Gandalf sat with Thorin and listened to his tale of wrongs. The wizard soon was aware of Thorin's burning desire for revenge and anger at the loss of his kingdom and treasure. Gandalf promised to help the Dwarf if he could; but Thorin was ready to mount all-out battle and Gandalf so no fruit in that course of action. They parted the next morning and Gandalf proceeded to the Shire with the conversation with Thorin fresh in his mind.

It's clear that the impetus for Gandalf in the quest of Erebor is defense against Sauron. Whereas Thorin's sole purpose was revenge. But what I find most interesting is how each had the other in mind as if by chance. Two mighty warriors coming together at just the right time to face down an imminent danger. Knowing Eru and his chief servants the Valar this jumps out to me as divine providence and not some chance meeting in Middle-earth. Reading the whole story in order has trained my eyes, if you will, to see these little hints. Now if I could train my eyes to by just as adept to picking out divine providence in my own life I would be a more joyful and intentional fellow I should think.

Middle-earth timeline: Third Age, 2941 (March 15th)
Today's reading comes from: The Return of the King, pages 358-359; Unfinished Tales, page 332 and 322

No comments:

Post a Comment