July 7, 2013

Brytta, King of the Mark

The 11th King of the Mark was Brytta of the second line of Kings. He succeeded Frealaf Hilderson. "He was called by his people Leofa, for he was loved by all; he was openhanded and a help to all the needy" (p. 349, The Return of the King). I resonate with the description openhanded. I try to keep that in mind with my spiritual journey; that everything--my wife, kids, job, house, etc. must be held with an open hand that God can have at any moment He chooses. It's easier said then done. To show this concept to my son I'll take a small toy (Lightening McQueen!) and hold it with an open hand and closed hand to physically show him this spiritual reality.

Not only must one be open to the idea of giving up anything at any moment for God but also being generous with those in need. I have enough, more than enough, how can I bless others who are not in the same state as I? This too is easier said than done. But I think if we look around we will see plenty of opportunity to practice. So I like Brytta and his biblical actions.

Not all was peaceful in Brytta's time. During his reign war with the Orcs came upon Rohan. For these were Orcs that were driven out of the mountains by the Dwarves and looking for new places to settle. Brytta fought hard to rid his land of the Orcs. "When he died it was thought that they had all been hunted out; but it was not so" (p. 349-350, The Return of the King). 

Middle-earth timeline: Third Age, 2752-2842
Today's reading comes from: The Return of the King, pages 348-349

No comments:

Post a Comment