June 16, 2013

The Stewards of Gondor

The Stewards, who came to rule after Earnur's foolish decision to ride out and face the Witch-king, were come from the House of Húrin. This was not the same Húrin, featured so prominently in the First Age. Rather a man of Númenorean race (though not royal lineage) who served as Steward to King Minardil (1621-1634 Third Age). From then on the Stewardship passed from father to son or nearest kin.

"Each new Steward indeed took office with the oath 'to hold the rod and rule in the name of the king, until he shall return'. But these soon became words of ritual little heeded, for the Stewards exercised all the power of the kings. Yet many in Gondor still believed that a king would indeed return in some time to come; and some remembered the ancient line of the North, which it was rumoured still lived on in the shadows. But against such thoughts the Ruling Stewards hardened their hearts. Nonetheless the Stewards never sat on the ancient throne; and they wore no crown, and held no sceptre" (p. 333, The Return of the King).

I love this background context about the Stewards; I think it will make the interaction between Aragorn and Denethor II much more meaningful. Also, this is the first reading in some time that strikes a spiritual parallel in my life. I think stewardship is a very Biblical idea; that God has placed humans on earth as stewards of His creation. And so the attitude becomes: am I guarding, safekeeping, growing, etc. whatever it is (my kids, money, plot of land) for God? Or do I view it all as mine? As the reading indicates the Stewards hardened their hearts to the idea that the King would return and they would then turn the kingdom over to someone else. I agree, it's easy for words to become "ritual little heeded" and whether an active decision or gradual indifference my heart can become hard. Take, for example, the Lord's prayer, which I have recited for years. Do I pay attention to the words that so easily roll of my tongue? Do I reflect on them? Do I even understand what it is I am praying (hence adding in the last verse if you clicked on the link)? So this is a good reminder to check my heart; I am but a steward and one day I will give an account to the King (whether He returns or calls me home) for all that I was
entrusted with.

Middle-earth timeline: Third Age, 2050 and on
Today's reading comes from: The Return of the King, page 333

No comments:

Post a Comment