June 12, 2013

Erebor is Founded

The Dwarven remnant of Moria migrated North led by Thrain I, Nain's son. They settled in Erebor, the Lonely Mountain, near Mirkwood. This would be the same Lonely Mountain featured prominently in The Hobbit, both book and film. Thrain I was named King under the Mountain. "In Erebor he found the great jewel, the Arkenstone, Heart of the Mountain" (p. 353, The Return of the King). Thrain's son, Thorin I departed his father's people and went farther North to the Grey Mountains where another remnant of Durin's folk were gathering. But alas, dragons were multiplying in those days when evil was stirring at the beckon of the Shadow and they made war on the Dwarves. "At last Dain I, together with Fror his second son, was slain at the doors of his hall by a great cold-drake" (p. 353, The Return of the King). I'll have to do some research but I think a cold-drake is a dragon sans fire breathing--if a reader knows more details please leave a comment! Regardless, I'm loving this period of the Third Age. Though details are few (for example I'd love details of the final battle of Dain I and the dragon) it's reading like historical account. Tolkien's intent I'm sure and I am loving it.

Middle-earth timeline: Third Age, circa 1999
Today's reading comes from: The Return of the King, page 353

No comments:

Post a Comment