December 5, 2015

Second Thoughts

Well, I finished my first "script" for the first episode. My respect for screenwriters has grown exponentially. It's a difficult process particularly taking a book with a rather abstract beginning and making it film-able.

Trying to create something with visual appeal without much dialogue is a big challenge. I'd rather like to limit the amount of filling in my own dialogue where there is none but much of The Silmarillion is written as a historical document. I've always defended the notion that books and movies are different mediums and therefore are rather like comparing apples and oranges. This process reinforces that.

Yet, adapting doesn't necessarily mean wholesale change. Understanding that I would need to potentially build in material sets my mind to thinking how could any such "extra" material fall in line with the themes and ideas of Professor Tolkien.

It's an altogether interesting exercise. And right now I'm wondering if 3-5 movies would serve my purposes better than 8 seasons of television.

No comments:

Post a Comment