January 3, 2016

Happy New Year! A toast! A goal!

Happy New Year everyone!

Perhaps a little late; but better than never! I have my sundry lists of goals, resolutions, and hopes for 2016 (particularly after a very difficult 2015) but as I was reading excerpts from the first Book of Lost Tales the last couple of days one quote caught my eye. I wish this for myself, my family, and you in this coming year: "In one thing only were they all alike, that a look of great happiness lit with a merry expectation of further mirth and joy lay on every face."

I'm reminded of my children, now that they are of the age where they really understand presents and gifts. This past weekend we saw my wife's family (long story short we have a lot of rounds to make at the holidays). When it was present time the look of happiness on my children's face was only topped by their merry expectation of further mirth and joy. Wouldn't it be something to approach life like this? The next meal, the next conversation, the next task, the next day. I've sometimes wondered what it would look like to possess a child like faith--I think this gets near to the point. May you and yours have great happiness in 2016 that is lit with the expectation of further mirth and joy!

Being January 3rd it is, of course, Professor Tolkien's birthday. I hope you all raised a glass and toasted him--the world is a richer place because of him. I am thankful.

And now (drum roll) my goal for this blog in 2016. Honestly, I'm hoping I can be consistent--2013 is the crown jewel of this blog (if anything read that!), 2014 a complete disaster, and 2015 started strong and ended poorly (December a particular fiasco).

I'm in the throes of my "life work" creating a complete and chronological Middle-earth text but it's a long way off before blogging about it. So, in the meantime, my plan is to watch Peter Jackson's adaptations of Tolkien's work and blog my thoughts on those. As of last November I am the proud owner of all 6 extended edition movies. My plan is to spend 2 months per movie (as each EE is divided onto 2 discs it makes a convenient 12 for monthly blogging purposes).

I'd welcome any reader thoughts along the way. Jackson's movie adaptations certainly elicit strong emotional responses. I'll try to give my overall impression of each movie when I finish it up--but to tip my hand a little: it was through Peter Jackson that I was introduced to Tolkien and I am very grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment