March 7, 2013

Tuor Meets Voronë


When last we left Tuor he was adrift in dreams during a stormy night. When he awoke the next day he saw an Elf sitting amongst the debris of the storm on the shore. He then greeted Voronwë by name even though they had never met (Ulmo was already supplying Tuor with words to speak). Voronwë asked Tuor tidings since he had long been at sea. Tuor told him Morgoth's power had grown and yet Turgon remained hidden.

Voronwë then asked Tuor who he was, for at first he thought him to be an Elf, but realized he was a Man. Tuor asked in return, "'And are you not the last mariner of the last ship that sought the West from the Havens of Círdan?'" (p. 32, Unfinished Tales). Voronwë was amazed he knew so much and Tuor told him he had spoken with Ulmo. Voronwë's awe grew, for if indeed this man spoke with the Lord of Waters, great indeed must he be. Tuor then informed Voronwë that he was to guide him to Turgon's Hidden Kingdom. But Voronwë refused. For even if Tuor a lord of Men no right would he have to go to the Kingdom. Furthermore should he make it their Voronwë said he would never enter in.

"'I do not bid you to lead me further than the gate,' said Tuor. 'There Doom shall strive with the Counsel of Ulmo. And if Turgon will not receive me, then my errand will be ended, and Doom shall prevail. But as for my right to seek Turgon: I am Tuor son of Huor and kin to Húrin whose names Turgon will not forget. And I seek also by command of Ulmo. Will Turgon forget that which he spoke to him of old: Remember that the last hope of the Noldor cometh from the Sea? Or again: When peril is nigh one shall come from Nevrast to warn thee? I am he that should come, and I am arrayed thus in the gear prepared for me'" (p. 32, Unfinished Tales).

Voronwë was amazed at these words. And though hesitant to return near the shadow of Morgoth he consented to lead Tuor on. But never clearly would he speak of the way to Turgon. Tuor was concerned with how far and where they would travel with the winter and possible enemies. Voronwë was not concerned about himself and trusted Tuor to judge his own strength; but in times of severe need Voronwë had a store of the waybread of the Elves: Lembas. 

So they departed. Tuor in his Elvish gear and a small bow and Voronwë only with a short sword. Their path led them into Beleriand which was now occupied by Orcs. They spoke much along the way but whenever Tuor asked about Turgon Voronwë would reveal little. Rather he preferred to talk about the growing Elvish remnant at the mouth of the Sirion and the Isle of Balar; many of whom wearied by constant war with Morgoth. "'But I forsook not my people of my own choice'" (p. 34, Unfinished Tales). And Voronwë spoke of Turgon's doubt and how he sent messengers to try and seek pardon in the West. Voronwë was one of the messengers chosen for his mother was kin to Círdan and he had a sea heart like those Elves. But he tarried on the journey south and he was enchanted in the land of Nan-tathren.

It's not necessarily important to the story but Voronwë gives a beautiful description of the land: "'...the grass is filled with flowers, like gems, like bells, like flames of red and gold, like a waste of many-coloured stars in a firmament of green'" (p. 35, Unfinished Tales). Tolkien has a beautiful way of describing nature. It was only when venturing out on a raft that Voronwë was carried down the river Sirion to Círdan's folk, the last of the messengers of Turgon. I bet Ulmo had a hand in that! Voronwë than spoke of his seven year sojourn on the Sea, great and terrible. Try as they might the West was shut to the Elvish messengers. After giving up, and within sight of Middle-earth, they were assailed by Ossë's wrathful storm. "'But as you see, I was spared; for it seemed to me that there came a wave, greater and yet calmer, than all the others, and it took me and lifted me from the ship, and bore me high upon the its shoulders, and rolling to the land it cast me upon the turf, and then drained away, pouring back over the cliff in a great waterfall'" (p. 36, Unfinished Tales). 

I love the providence in this story. I know I've said it before but it really makes me want to see with clearer eyes how God is moving behind the scenes in this world.

Middle-earth timeline: First Age, 495, autumn
Today's reading comes from: Unfinished Tales, pages 31-36

No comments:

Post a Comment