January 3, 2013

Of the Valar, Maiar, and Their Enemies

Today, January 3rd, marks the 121st birthday of J.R.R. Tolkien. The Tolkien Society recommends a toast. I will surely raise my glass tonight at 9:00pm. I hope you take a moment to think about the Professor as well.

The first two sections of The Silmarillion make known the "myths and legends of Middle-earth" or the really early history. If Middle-earth really existed it would be ancient history, some truth mixed with legend, before recorded history. Today's reading is entitled Valanquenta and it tells of the Valar, Maiar, and their Enemies. The Valar were discussed in the previous post and some were mentioned by name; here the greatest among them:
  • Manwe, dearest to Iluvatar, King (if you will) of the Valar, Lord of breath and air, lover of birds (this I think important because wind and birds play an important role in Middle-earth, even if Manwe is not named)
  • Ulmo, who stands alone, loves Men and Elves, lord of all waters (remember water is also very important since it's the only subtance in Middle-earth where the original creation song is echoed)
  • Aule, very similar to Melkor, loves to create and build. "Aule remained faithful to Eru and submitted all that he did to his will; and he did not envy the works of others, and delighted in the praise of their skill. Whereas Melkor spent his spirit in envy and hate, until at last he could make nothing save in mockery of the thought of others, and all their works he destroyed if he could" (p. 27, The Silmarillion) I love the juxtaposition. One who delights in the praising of others or one who mocks others. Many in this world, myself included at times for it is easy, live with a spirit of envy and hate. Lord, may you humble my heart that I can appreciate the gifts and talents of those around me.
  • Orome, Lord of Forests and a hunter of monsters and fell beasts (sounds like a sweet job!)
  • Mandos, He is the Keeper of the Houses of the Dead, Summoner of the Spirits of the Slain, Doomsman of the Valar. He forgets nothing and judges only at the bidding of Manwe. Wow.
  • Lorien, Master of dreams and visions and the name of a key place in The War of the Ring (Lothlorien)
  • Tulkos AKA Astaldo the Valiant. Delights in wrestling, strength contests, outruns all things, and tireless. Little heed of the past or future and a hardy friend. I would also imagine the life of any party.
Next are the Valier, Queens of the Valar:
  • Varda, Lady of the Stars, dwells with Manwe, light is her joy, most renowned of the Elves and called Elbereth by them. Most hated and feared by Melkor for she rejected him.
  • Yavanna, giver of fruits and lover of all things growing. Spouse of Aule.
  • Nienna dwells alone. Mourns for every wound Melkor inflicts. Those who draw near learn pity and endurance in hope. What a marvelous phrase. I find this often as I read Tolkien; a phrase or sentence here or there that strikes me in profound ways. Endurance in hope. I've run many long distance races; I have an idea about physical endurance. So what is my hope in and how can I practice endurance in it?
  • Este the gentle. Healer of hurts and worries. Lorien's spouse.
  • Vaire the weaver. Spouse of Mandos. "Weaves all things that have ever been in Time into her storied webs" (p. 28, The Silmarillion)
  • Vana spouse of Orome, forever young.
  • Nessa spouse of Tulkos; delights in dancing (another handy attribute for parties).
The Valar and Valier are crucial to the early history of Middle-Earth. They have helpers known as Maiar. Lesser in power than the Valar but still very great. A few relevant Maiar:
  • Ilmare, handmaiden of Varda
  • Eonwe, herald of Manwe
  • Osse, vassal of Ulmo. Delights in storm. Almost drawn into Melkor's service which is why those who love ships and the sea do not trust him.
  • Uinen, spouse of Osse. She was critical in his repentance of Melkor and to whom mariners cry to calm Osse's raging seas.
  • Melian served Vana and Este. Coming readings will have much to say of her.
  • Olorin, wisest of the Maiar. He often went to the house of Nienna and learned patience and pity from her. The tales coming do not speak of him as he walked among the Elves unseen. In latter days he was friend to all Children of Iluvatar, taking pity on them, and helping them overcome despair. We will see a lot more of Olorin in stories more familiar to many Tolkien readers.
Finally, the Enemies of the Valar.
  • Melkor, AKA Morgoth, the Dark Enemy of the World. I think this quote best sums up, "From splendour he fell through arrogance to contempt for all things save himself, a spirit wasteless and pitiless" (p. 31, The Silmarillion). He was a liar without shame. This makes me immediately think of a Biblical description of Satan: "He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." Many Maiar were drawn to Melkor and became his servants.
  • Balrogs were former Maiar who became demons of terror.
  • Sauron was Melkor's greatest servant AKA Garthaur the Cruel who began as a Maiar of Aule. I love Tolkien's description here, "[He] was only less evil than his master in that for long he served another and not himself" (p. 32, The Silmarillion). 
I know this is fantasy made up by J.R.R. Tolkien (brilliant, right?) and not real history. But I love the connections. I want to know the backstory of how Sauron came to be or why Legolas is deathly afraid when meeting a Balrog. I want to know who Olorin is what part he will play. This stuff gets me geeked up.

I would be remiss not to mention my friend Ben Dyer's insight on this passage. Specifically in regards to Nienna and her ability to "turn sorrow into wisdom" (p. 28, The Silmarillion). He writes: "When I first read that I thought there was something really insightful and familiar about the idea, and later found this passage in Ecclesiastes: 'For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.' Though Solomon suggests that one grows more melancholy as one grows in wisdom, I like that Tolkien sees it the other way around. Wisdom is sorrow redeemed." And now it's my part to be like Aule and praise another. Ben is one of the smartest men I know and I appreciate his deep thoughts in regards to Tolkien and other subjects. And what's best about Ben is even though he's very smart and very deep I never feel less then around him. That's a rare attribute indeed.


Middle-earth timeline: Before Time
Todays reading comes from: The Silmarillion, pages 25-32

No comments:

Post a Comment