February 21, 2015

Fall of Gondolin

In 2014 I decided I would read and blog my way though the History of Middle-earth series. It was a foolhardy attempt. I did not anticipate the, at times, academic nature of the books, nor the difficulties in sorting out early versions of the stories with the later stories I knew so much better. I've now reached the exact point where I petered out on the blogging portion. After the Fall of Gondolin I dove headfirst into the readings which ended up being a profitable pursuit; I was better able to absorb all that I was reading without trying to think about what to share on the blog.

However, I will refer you to my two posts concerning the Fall of Gondolin since I did spend much time on them. You can find part one here and part two here. If I had to pick one Tolkien Tale to follow it would be the history (and fall) of Gondolin. I'm not sure why but it has always captured my imagination and of all the dreams of seeing The Silmarillion on screen this is what I would most look forward too.

Christopher Tolkien noted how his father would recycle names from The Silmarillion into later writings (perhaps he had given up the notion of publishing these early tales) and a prime example if found in The Fall of Gondolin where a keen sighted Elf by the name of Legolas Greenleaf appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment