December 31, 2013

Final Thoughts: My Unexpected Journey

Wow, the end of what I thought to be an unrealistic undertaking. Reading through Tolkien's Middle-earth in chronological fashion. Many times I found myself figure out late in the game when I was going to read what and even then I made some mistakes along the way. The mythology of Middle-earth is immense. And fantastic. And life-changing. I had always been intrigues my Tolkien's thoughts on the applicability of his writing and because of that I kept my eyes open along the way for what I thought might be applicable to my life. I thought I might find something. I found a lot. Wise words for wise living. Hope and strength to fight the battles in my life. Reflections on how I am doing as a husband, father, and friend. Encouragement, over and over again, to my faith.

Don't get me wrong--I love Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Dragons, Hero's, Wizard's, Ringwraiths, Orcs, Skin-Changers, Bombadil's, Eagles, Ents, Valar, etc. I love all of the epic battles, quests, and adventures. I love the cool languages and depths that make Middle-earth feel like some forgotten history. I love that noblity and honor are codes of conduct. I love the fantasy nature of this story. But I found it truer to life than most of what I read. I think you'll find it speaks to the depths of your experiences as well. It is a timeless tale full of applicability for all who read no matter your background or worldview. Thank you Professor Tolkien. Read on my friends.

I just finished 365 posts for 2013. One for each day in my chronological read. I will now list my top ten posts from this past year and a little synopsis of why:

  1. Faerie Stories & Middle-earth: An Introduction (here) -- This post set the stage for my entire blog. It was the 1st time I had read Tolkien's essay on Faerie Stories; it was powerful and a great encouragement in my faith in Christ. I also looked at the introduction of The Lord of the Rings in order to deepen my understanding of applicability. After these two reads I am confident that my own thoughts interspersed through this blog are my application of reading Tolkien's work. 
  2. The Battle of Unnumbered Tears (here) -- Perhaps the most epic battle in Middle-earth. So many twists and turns and characters. Hands down, the actions of Húrin in this story provided for me the most lucid moment of clarity and applicability it my life. In my personal struggles I will often think of this story and cry out in my heart: Aure Entuluva!
  3. The Debate of Finrod and Andreth (here and here) -- This was a fascinating post. This was the 1st year I incorporated some small readings from The Histories of Middle-earth which I had never read before. This story was a gem of Silmaril value. A discussion on the nature of Elves and Men between an Elf and a woman. Lots of thought provoking words. The description of hope (elessar) is beautiful. 
  4. The Red Book (here) -- What I enjoy most about Tolkien's work is that it truly does read like a history (which has always been my favorite subject). I enjoy this post because it ties together, from several writings, what the Red Book is and how this important "historical" document came to be. It even allowed for some of my own speculation which is always amusing.
  5. The Battle of Pelennor Fields (here) -- I am a sucker for the battles. But this one has so many intimate moments I finds myself in tears every time I read it (or see it on screen). Eowyn's defense of Theoden's gets me every time. One of my favorite readings in all of Middle-earth. 
  6. The Oats of Cirion and Eorl (here) -- This may sound strange but I love how the men in Tolkien's writings act like men. Here we see the leaders of two people's (Gondor and Rohan as it will be) declaring support for one another's countries in times of need. Even better: we'll read that this oath is fulfilled time and time again in the next 500 years. Men of honor, speaking words of honor, and acting in honor. Love it. 
  7. In the Beginning (here) -- "There was Eru, the One..." (p. 15, The Silmarillion) and thus I began my plunge into Middle-earth for the next year. This is a really cool writing on the creation of Middle-earth. Very biblical in its scope as well. 
  8. Beorn (here) -- Beorn, a skin-changer, is a fascinating character. However, the real reason why this is one of my favorite posts is Gandalf. I can't say enough about the Grey Wizard but this story just incapsulates him to me. The way he guides the Dwarves into the presence of this unpredictably skin-changer is all at once brilliant, hilarious, cunning, executed perfectly, and wise. Maybe I forgot an adjective or two. It's just Gandalf and it's perfect. 
  9. Black Riders and High Elves (here) -- I enjoyed this reading because it is one of the more intense, nail-biting, parts in the story as Frodo leaves the Shire with Ringwraith's on his trail. But it also contains, in a small way, one of Tolkien's many euchatastrophe's--that unlooked for hope and joy; as when Frodo unexpectedly meets some High Elves on the way. 
  10. Thror and Azog (here) -- Many of the top-ten posts lean toward the deeper end of things. Not this one. Purely epic. In fact, this post is mostly direct quote from Tolkien. They don't call Azog the Defiler for nothing.
If you've read your way through this blog perhaps let me know what some of your favorite posts were. Or at the very least your favorite Tolkien passages. 

As for 2014 my plan is to keep the posts coming. Although not one a day. My goal for 2014 is to read the Histories of Middle-earth in their entirety. I've just now received my last couple of missing books. 12 volumes--one for each month. My tentative plan is for one post a week--as the bulk of this reading will be completely new and challenging for me. But, I hopeful I'll find a few more bits and pieces that I can add into future chronological reads. 

May 2014 bring you Elves and Dwarves, peace and joy, and euchatastrophe's of great significance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment