April 15, 2013

The Early Years of Aldarion's Reign

Aldarion became King of Númenor in 883 Second Age and immediately decided to leave for Middle-earth. This caused much unrest as a King had never before left the shores of Númenor. He no longer placed a bough of return on his ship. Rather he placed an eagle with golden beak and jewelled eyes on the vessel which was a gift from Círdan. Aldarion felt the eagle would lead him to Middle-earth and he trusted the Valar for his safe return. The records of his many journey's to Middle-earth were lost but it is noted that on one occasion he did meet with Galadriel.

Of the help Gil-galad asked for it could be said that Númenor did not provide a timely answer. "Aldarion was too late, or too early. Too late: for the power that hated Númenor had already waked. Too early: for the time was not yet ripe for Númenor to show its power or to come back into the battle for the world" (p. 206, Unfinished Tales). I think the latter proves the more costly. Revealing yourself to an enemy before your strength is full does not seem likely to be a winning strategy.

As for Ancalimë, daughter or Aldarion, not much detail is given. She grew up during this time under the influence of her mother. She was less prim than her mother and was like her father in that she did not enjoy others to impose their will on her particularly when it came to marriage. "She approved, as it were, both Erendis' treatment of Aldarion on his late return but also Aldarion's anger, impenitence, and subsequent relentless dismissal of Erendis from his heart and concern" (p. 206, Unfinished Tales). Perhaps Ancalimë was so touchy when it came to marriage because she was first-hand witness to her parents dysfunctional relationship.

A section of Erendis' counsel to Ancalimë on men is given. As expected much of it is unflattering and combative. But there was one bit Erendis spoke of that cut me to the quick. I was admittedly convicted when I read it; ashamedly knowing it was all too applicable to my life (Tolkien spoke of the applicability of his work). She said, "'Anger they show only when they become aware, suddenly, that there are other wills in the world beside their own" (p. 207, Unfinished Tales). Ouch. I often have this gnawing sense that I'm not living life quite how it should be lived. That I'm not has joyful or approachable as I want to be. That statement provided clarity for me. Like looking into a mirror whether you want to or not. Perhaps the reason why I'm so annoyed, short-tempered, and even angry at circumstances in my life and, more often than I want to admit, with my wife and children is because I'm basically throwing a temper tantrum because I'm not getting my way. My way or the highway, right? It's selfish and it's ugly. I couldn't escape it when I read it. I've been processing and praying with Jesus since. Oh God, may this not be may daily reality. May I be gracious, kind, gentle, flexible, and willingly give my life away to others. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Alas, during the first 18 years or so of Aldarion's reign he was mostly away from Númenor even though the works of his hands in Middle-earth were not completed (by lack of manpower or destruction of others). Ancalimë spent those years between Armenelos and Emerië treated with deference by all especially Aldarion and his mother Almarian. As she grew Erendis' behavior troubled Ancalimë because she acted as a widow rather than a queen. Even so, she would often travel to Emerië to the exasperation of Aldarion. "She was clever, and malicious, and saw promise of sport as the prize for which her mother and her father did battle" (p. 208, Unfinished Tales). Indeed, the fruit of a dysfunctional marriage.

Middle-earth timeline: Second Age, 883-901
Today's reading comes from: Unfinished Tales, pages 205-208

No comments:

Post a Comment