February 23, 2016

Riddles in the Dark

Is there such a thing as cinematic perfection? I'm sure directors or actors would say they could always do better, more, another take. But in terms of the viewer; beauty is in the eye of the beholder - right? And what I witnessed last night was, in my eyes, cinematic perfection. The Riddles in the Dark chapter from The Hobbit is an iconic chapter. We are introduced to the slimy, slightly unhinged, and scary Gollum. We see Bilbo lost, confused, and hopeless and yet needing every ounce of cognitive acumen he can muster to avoid becoming Gollum's next snack. It's a scene that sticks with many readers who read the book when they were young. I, for one, was very curious to see it played out on screen.

I was not disappointed. It's nearly 15 minutes long, uncut, two marvelous actors (Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman) creating a tense environment with several lighthearted moments - like when Gollum waits for Bilbo's first riddle - did Gollum just become adorable? Both actors were outstanding with their little facial contortions and movements that really pinpoint the highs and lows felt by Gollum and Bilbo during the Riddles game. I could watch this scene again and again. It was so well done (and according to the bonus footage Martin Freeman's first filmed scene of Bilbo no less!).

For those keeping score at home (that's me) for times sake not all the riddles could be used. Looking back at the book I give a thumbs up for the selections Peter Jackson and writers decided to include:

  • Gollum's "mountain" riddle
  • Bilbo's "teeth" riddle
  • Gollum's "wind" riddle
  • Bilbo's "eggses" riddle
  • Gollum's "time" riddle
  • And of course, the titular riddle regarding "what have I got in my pocket?"
Riddles that did not make the cut:
  • Bilbo's "sun on the daisies" riddle
  • Gollum's "dark" riddle
  • Gollum's "fish" riddle
  • Bilbo's "no legs to four legs" riddle

No comments:

Post a Comment