April 19, 2015

Unnumbered Tears

The Sketch and Quenta are now moving forward quite rapidly recounting the adventures of Beren (who is an Elf in the Sketch!) and Lúthien as well as the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. I like how the Sketch, very much a truncated outline, refers to other works: "Of this and his other adventures are told in the Lay of Leithian" (p. 24, The Shaping of Middle-earth). And of course, one of my personal favorite moments in Tolkien: Hurin's Stand. In fact, I recently commissioned an artist to bring this scene to life, and she did quite well: you can see it here. One of my goals is to write a Lay concerning this scene. I have a few lines sketched out; but my work pales in comparison to Tolkien's brilliance.

Once more the Quenta adds layers of juicy detail much of which drives the published Silmarillion. A quick example concerning the Dwarves. Still mysterious characters, not evil and yet not good. At this point in the mythology they do not fight in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears: "'For we do not know the rights of this quarrel,' they said, 'and we are friends of neither side - until it hath the mastery'" (p. 116, The Shaping of Middle-earth). I think the Dwarves are the most pragmatic of any race in Middle-earth. But, being swayed by gold and jewels they provide most of the weapons for Maidros' union--a fact I would think Morgoth would not ignore despite the Dwarven claim they are friends of neither side.

No comments:

Post a Comment