January 3, 2014

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

One more brief note--I received an unexpected gift this past Christmas: The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.  A collection of hundreds of letters from the Professor to his family, friends, and fans. I was able to dive in during holiday travel and several quotes really struck me. From time to time I may also add some of these to my blogging. Without further ado:

  • "The greatness I meant was that of a great instrument in God's hands-a mover, a doer, even an achiever of great things, a beginner at the very least of large things" This was written to a friend in response to learning of another friend's death in World War I. Indeed, I think Tolkien achieved the greatness he desired--and at the very least gives an inspiring look at what greatness could be.
  • "At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts." Yes, what matters is there here and now. I may ascribe to be a man of integrity but if I do not practice integrity in this very moment all my grand aspirations are worthless. 
  • In writing to one of his sons concerning marriage and the relationship of men and women Tolkien gives insight as to how men out to view women: "...as companions in the shipwreck not guiding stars." Indeed, when I make my wife my guiding star in this life it always ends in hurt and heartache for us both. She is human just as I am. She has tremendous abilities and limited brokenness as I do. I believe, as Tolkien did, that this world is fallen--so a shipwreck is an apt analogy--and in the midst of a shipwreck I'd need a companion. 
  • In the same letter to his son above: "However, the essence of a fallen world is that the best cannot be attained by free enjoyment, or by what is called 'self-realization' (usually a nice name for self-indulgence, wholly inimical to the realization of other selves); but by denial, by suffering." A mentor of mine says one of the greatest attributes a man can obtain is that of delaying gratification. Sometimes the best things in life come by denying oneself rather than indulging.
  • "You have to understand the good in things, to detect real evil."
Indeed, the more I read about Tolkien the more impressed I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment